Monday, February 11, 2013

Kid-Approved Vegan Blueberry Pancakes


Of all the things I remember from my childhood, the ones I remember most are breakfasts on Saturdays.  My dad (who is actually a very good cook!) would whip up some delicious bacon, eggs, & pancakes for us and we'd drown them in syrup like all kids do. 

Since Jake and I have been together, big Saturday breakfasts seem to have made their way into being a tradition of our own.  Of course, it all got more complicated when we decided to make our eating changes and cut out half of our "normal" foods.   

My 7-year-old stepson isn't a huge fan of our new eating (so far he likes the cookies!), so as a result, we still have a non-vegan/milk drinker/hot dog eater/hamburger lover in the house.  I can't say that I'm upset.  I have countless memories of camping trips and swim meets eating all sorts of junk food.  Somehow I think my fond memories would have been different if we would have sat around roasting tofurkey dogs and noshing on vegan mac n' cheese.  

So alas, Kids must be kids.  And I have found a recipe that works for the both of us! Thank goodness.  I can eat them & he ate 2, so of course I'm ecstatic!


Kid-Approved 
Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 minutes


Cooking stuffs:

1 flax egg (Directions)
1 Tbsp Earth Balance butter substitute
1/2 cup Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp agave or maple syrup (NO HONEY)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
salt
Vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup blueberries
2 Tbsp raw sugar


In a medium sized bowl mix all your ingredients listed above, and mix thoroughly.  They should create a pancake-like thickness batter.  If it is too thick, add a bit of water or little more coconut milk.  Scoop 1/2 cup measuring onto a preheated 300 degree flat griddle.  Allow to brown on one side before flipping, approximately 2-3 minutes.  Top with maple syrup and sliced strawberries or blueberries.  Serve!


<3thehappyinsomniac









No comments:

Post a Comment