Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday Date Night: Homemade Vegan Pizza


Wednesday Night.  It's the best night of the week everywhere because it officially starts the countdown to Friday, which let's face it.

Everyone loves a weekend.

At our house, Wednesdays are the most calm, so I can actually meander through the kitchen while cooking instead of trying to outrun a tornado in Kansas.  Guilty as charged, I am never especially motivated to accomplish much on Wednesdays. Since Jake and I both worked all day, he has school for a few hours after, and the chores are typically done, more often than not  it becomes the classic pizza & movie night.    

I have made the same pizza crust for at least 3 years now, and it hasn't failed me yet.  This is the first time however, that I've made it vegan, and I have to say I was pleased at the result.

Two things about this particular dough recipe:
  • A) It is extremely forgiving.  You can't screw it up and trust me, I've tried.  If you have a dough hook for your mixer, I completely recommend it for simplicity, but rolling by hand works just as well.  
  • B) This particular recipe is actually a no-yeast cinnamon roll dough recipe, but its light & fluffy and absolutely a breeze to make. The original recipe is listed HERE.  I have made the recipe to spec before as it's intended cinnamon rolls, but the sugar/butter mixture does tend to make a huge mess because the dough doesn't expand.      
The ingredients I have listed are suggestions/preferences only.  I wasn't quite prepared to make the "Burnin'-Down-The-House Supreme", but it was delicious nonetheless.  Enjoy!


Vegan Classic Pizza
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes to Set Crust + 20 Minutes for Full Pizza

Cooking Stuffs:

Crust:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons raw sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Butter Substitute
  • 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
Pizza:
  • 2 Cups Raw Spinach
  • 1 Bag Shredded Go Veggie! Vegan Cheese, or something similar
  • Spaghetti or Pizza sauce, (I didn't make my own tonight, but for an awesome recipe go HERE.  Amazing.)
  • 1 quarter of a white or yellow onion
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1/2 cup spicy sprouts
  • Sprinkling of Flax Seeds
Crust:  Using your Kitchen Aid dough hook (or in a big bowl with your hands) mix all crust ingredients together thoroughly.  Kneed out all air pockets, but being mindful not to over-kneed, making the dough tough.  Using a rolling pin, roll into a large circle on a well floured pizza stone or cookie sheet.  I use Pampered Chef Pizza Stones found HERE.  
Best $33.00 dollars spent ever.  
Bake the crust for approximately 10 minutes, or until slightly crispy.  This will help the pizza to avoid getting soggy from the toppings.  


While the crust is drying in the oven, start preparing all veggies/toppings that require preparation.  Make sure onions are thoroughly chopped and caramelized if preferred.   
When the crust is dry, remove from the oven and top with pizza sauce, vegan cheese, garlic, and remaining toppings.  

Return to the oven for 15-20 Minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.  Serve immediately!







<3thehappyinsomniac

No comments:

Post a Comment