Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Spice Coffee Beverage

So I am rather depressed that this year I cannot partake in the annual tradition that is the Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Especially since part of my job is managing two Starbucks stores.  For a drink that screams "Fall is HERE!", I love everything about this drink.  The smell, the creaminess, the pumpkiny love.

Sigh.

But alas, the pumpkin sauce contains milk, so it's outcast to the land of non-vegan foods.

The same way that my BF Jake obsesses over pumpkin scones (though I rarely...ok, never...make these), I obsess over pumpkin.  For me it's right up there with my obsession for chocolate, rice cream, brownies and anything even remotely near the Chinese food category.  It's weird I know, but you'll get over it.  For a warm toasty pumpkin beverage in the wholly vegan genre...try this sweet delight.

*Just for the record, you are able to make this recipe COMPLETELY organic if you pay attention to the soy milk and canned pumpkin you buy.  Say no to GMO! :)

2 Cups Soy or Almond Milk
1/4 Cup canned Pumpkin Puree (Not Pumpkin pie filling..read the can for goodness sake)
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sprinkling of Cinnamon
Sprinkling of Sugar
2 shots of espresso (if you're lucky enough to own one of those fancy dancy machines)
OR
2 Tablespoons of instant coffee (trust me, buy the expensive kind)
OR
1 Starbucks Anniversary blend VIA packet (if you haven't tried these...they're amazing.)
1 cinnamon stick
Standard Kitchen Thermometer

In a sauce pan, slowly heat up your soy or almond milk over medium heat.  Stir frequently so it doesn't burn...that would be no bueno.  As your milk gets up into the 150 degree range (use your thermometer), you can start stirring in the 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree.  As it begins to smooth out and blend, sprinkle your seasonings and add your vanilla, instant coffee or VIA packet.  Stir until it has reached a comfortable 170 degrees and serve with a cinnamon stick while still hot!

*Feel free to add more or less pumpkin to your recipe depending on your tastes.  YUM YUM!

Enjoy! Happy Fall :)

<3thehappyinsomniac

No comments:

Post a Comment