Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sweet Sunday

I have always had a sweet tooth.  It's got me in trouble, especially when managing my neverending battle of maintaining a healthy weight.  Since adopting veganism however, having to closly monitor what I'm eating and using as fuel has seriously put a damper on the random sugar buzzes when I hit the grocery store.  My favorite things ever are bakery items and it has become somewhat more difficult to find.

Being an advocate for local small businesses, I always look for delicious vegan options that are locally run by Spokanites just trying to make they're living by doing what they love.  Is there seriously anything better than someone loving their job when so many others don't?  Nope.  Don't think so.

Petit Chat
9910 N Waikiki Rd 
Spokane, WA 99218
(509) 468-2720

Our first favorite that we visited for pretty much the first two years of our Sunday Sweets tradition, we would gather up in the car, drive all the way the North Spokane about three blocks from the beautiful Whitworth College campus and visit the elegant, Petit Chat Village Bakery.  This cute, French style bistro is one of my favorite bakeries for their naturally vegan bread (especially their Swedish Breakfast Bread!). My dear friend, Elyse, introduced me to "the chat" about 4 years ago and how far they've come!  Recently expanding from their little compact bakery shop into a full scale seating area, huge pastry display and extra room for all the bread and goodies.

If you are in the Whitworth part of town, make sure you go by Petit Chat.  Great homemade pastries, breads and espresso fresh made everyday.  Also, if you get there soon enough, day-olds are half off!  My freezer gets stocked up every time I go, so I can have delicious, homemade bread everyday of the week.


Dawn of the Doughnut
3402 N Division St
SpokaneWA 99207
Located in the newly renovated Papa Murphy's building on lower Division, this unique zombie themed shop focuses on tasty doughnuts of all favors, vanilla, chocolate, weird and wacky.  With a variety of crazy doughnut recipes and equally fun names, any zombie lover or horror movie fanatic will love this place.  My step-son, Chris, who is 7 gets extra excited that the entire staff is dressed up as zombies as part of their regular work uniform.  And, the owner looks like Sally right out of the Nightmare Before Christmas, which is pretty freakin' cool.  Visit the drive-thru or head inside where EVERYTHING is dripping with "blood" complete with bloody hand prints all over the ceiling.  It's so original for Spokane and delicious.  Really delicious.  

Support Local Vegan-Friendly Businesses!  

Happy Sunday!
<3thehappyinsomniac

No comments:

Post a Comment